Dementia and Dysphagia

Virginia Cooper wrote:
> I am currently working in skilled nursing with primarily a long term, aged
>(85yo+) dementia population who are demonstrating declines in swallow
>function which seem to be more cognitive than physiological in nature. I have
>been focusing on diet modification and caregiver training. Does anyone have
>any additional modalities of treatment that I could try?

>My facility is also requesting my involvement with residents who are losing
>weight but show no overt signs or symptoms of clinical dysphagia. Any
>suggestions? What are others doing with regards to weight variance
>management?

Virginia:

If I recall correctly, Jennifer Horner (along with her coworkers) has
been looking at dysphagia in the demented elderly.  You might want to
contact her directly at Duke in N.C.  or check the literature for some of her
work. I'll also check my files for some references.  I

Teresa
Teresa Brobeck
Program in Communication Disorders
College of Health Professions