epiglottic deflection

  • Subject: epiglottic deflection
  • From: r.thacker@utoronto.ca (r.thacker)
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 1997 02:23:08 -0500

It would be useful to have the radiologist look at the
original MBS again to rule out impingement of the epiglottis
on a cervical vertebrae which could cause compromised
deflection during the swallow.

Ron Thacker
Toronto

On Thu, 27 Nov 1997 17:57:12 -0500 josh wilkins wrote:

> From: josh wilkins <ewilkins@julian.uwo.ca>
> Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 17:57:12 -0500
> Subject: epiglottic deflection
> To: dysphagia@cyberport.com
>
> This is a question about anatomy and innervation.  All
>
> I have recently seen an acquired brain injury patient
(automobile accident)
> who also had a c-1 c-2 fusion (posterior approach).  When
she first came to
> us from acute care,  she was on tube feed and not
tolerating it
> well--nausea, vomitting. there was also bilateral vocal
fold paralysis. We
> had to send her back because of the G-I problems.  When
she returned to us
> she was tolerating the tube feed with the aid of
medication,  she was alert
> and cognitively in good condition.  Recent ENT report
indicated unilateral L
> vocal fold paralysis but gave minimal detail.  MBS at
acute care had
> indicated gross aspiration of all consistancies with
absence of epiglottic
> deflection and apparently good hyolaryngeal excursion. No
A-P view was done.

> She also held her neck in extension with extremely tense
muscles and
> reported tingling in her hands when she tried to flex her
neck.  EMG
> indicated injury to the L spinal accessory nerve. Because
of the fusion and
> nerve damage, ability to rotate the neck was severely
limited. ENT was
> following her with consideration of teflon injection or
surgery for the
> paralysed fold.
>
> Articulation was clear but when I approached her mouth
with a tongue
> depressor, her tongue bunched upward and backward not
under volitional
> control.  With effort there was some very rough,  hoarse,
vocalizing.  With
> PT we worked with her to bring her neck to, at least, a
neutral position.
> She had no difficulty with secretions and had a moderately
strong cough.

> A month after the first MBS we went back to x-ray and
found she had a rapid
> effective swallow for all consistancies.  A-P view showed
no assymetry.  She
> was intentionally controlling the oral phase of the
swallow, but the
> pharyngeal phase looked normal!
>
> Not having seen that first MBS,  I am questioning what was
happening with
> the epiglottis.  My understanding is that epiglottic
movement is largely
> passive and dependent on the adequacy of the upward and
forward movement of
> the larynx--can anyone elaborate on that.
>
> Also, where was the damage that caused the vocal fold
paralyis--I am
> assuming lower motor neuron (I don't think the palate was
affected) and that
> the problem was most likely related to the neck injury.
Is it possible the
> upward excursion was adequate but not the forward
movement--and what nerve