[Dysphagia] Dementia and Dysphagia

  • Subject: [Dysphagia] Dementia and Dysphagia
  • From: GuptaJ@sesahs.nsw.GOV.AU (Jai Gupta)
  • Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2002 09:51:39 +1000

------=_NextPartTM-000-cc22bf66-f508-45b5-9e1a-b1d2a104808c

Heather ...to add to that mind you experience tells me Dementia does not =
come in a single neat package .... as the disease progress various =
systems start breaking down faster giving raise to UTI, Falls leading to =
fractures, Malnutrition, resp. infections, etc. to name the few=20
To start you off with your research you can read the following and they =
will give you good lead to the areas you are interested....I think =
medline has about 70-80 articles most of them case studies of various =
syndromes and some on feeding issues ..

Jerrard-Dunne P. Farrell Z. O'Neill D. Dementia with oropharyngeal =
dysphagia and myopathy. [Journal Article] Dysphagia. 16(3):196-9, 2001=20

Lieu PK. Chong MS. Seshadri R. The impact of swallowing disorders in the =
elderly. [Review] [60 refs] [Journal Article. Review. Review Literature] =
Annals of the Academy of Medicine, Singapore. 30(2):148-54, 2001=20

Chouinard J. Lavigne E. Villeneuve C. Weight loss, dysphagia, and =
outcome in advanced dementia. [Journal Article] Dysphagia. 13(3):151-5, =
1998=20

good luck
Jai Gupta