[Dysphagia] Cervical Auscultation

  • Subject: [Dysphagia] Cervical Auscultation
  • From: scott-dailey at uiowa.edu (Dailey, Scott)
  • Date: Sat Jan 7 06:31:40 2006

I do use a stethoscope to listen to respiratory sounds and timing of swallow with infants. While I understand that there is not literature regarding this.  I am not using it to listen to quality and nature of swallowing/laryngeal sounds in how cervical auscultation is usually thought to be used.  I do not make conclusions based on swallowing sounds.  I am better able to count sucks before a swallow, number of swallows, and nature of cervical respiratory sounds before and after the swallow.  I become concerned about an infants airway protection during swallowing when respiratory wetness is heard during the feeding, when there is a discoordination of suck and swallow, or continued suck/swallow without breathing.

My only thought about the pooling would be if the respiratory sounds become wet when listening following the swallow, however, you do not know exaclty where the wetness is coming from (material in larynx, pyriforms, vallecula, posterior pharyngeal wall.  Has your colleague told you what pooling sounds like?

Scott Dailey, MA, CCC-SLP
Speech-Language Pathologist
University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics