[Dysphagia] Myasthenia Gravis

Hi Lucy

I have been involved in the "treatment" of several MG patients. Treatment
really focuses more on education and mgmt rather than tx. MG patients are
usually given mestinon.  You should find that swallow function is best when
the mestinon is at a peak therapeutic level about, 30 to 45-min PO and
shorter when IV. This of course needs to be coordianted with the  ordering
neurologist.  If the pt is in a really bad exacerbation period it may take
many different kinds of tx to resolve the exacerbation (prednisone,
solumedrol, cellcept and even plasmopharesis are some of the ones I have
seen used) When  the patient's are unable to take PO I would suggest a
dobhoff tube for a few days until the exacerbation can be controlled.
Exercises are not indicated with this disease. It is usually best to limit
activity before meals so that swallowing function is optimal.
Other general swallowing compensatory techniques of ; alternating liquids
and solids , small bites, small sips and PO supplement to maximize calories
in the least number of swallows are usually helpful. Diets of mechanical
soft or pureed seem best due to chewing fatigue . I have not really
recommended thickener with these patients as thickened liquids are somewhat
harder to swallow for this group.
Hope you find this information helpful.

Patti Larghi MS, CCC-SLP