[Dysphagia] Jello question

Hi Lucy - I work in a similar facility.? Yes, jello is an excellent option, as
well as popsickles, slushes (if they use a switch they can use there switch to
help make the slush to possibly add intrest), flavored water, etc.? One of the
most successful strategies is to ensure staff offer a small drink every hour (or
20 munutes etc).? If handed the cup between meal times with one ounce in it then
they may be more likely to drink.? Also, some individulas do like to have fluids
thickened so they can spoon it and sometimes that is the best you can do - but I
would still try to offer small amounts of thin liquid in between these times and
more frequently.? Especially since these are the individuals that will tend to
have high impactions, chronic constipation and other related issues.? If they
have ID and dementia, promote motor cueing to encourage the motoric function
(general the last to go?- motor memory pattern).? In other words if they can
hold the cup independently, put a small amount in the cup and place it in their
hand.? If they don't drink, give a light physical cue by slightly touching the
hand in an upward motion - the individuals with dementia will generally continue
the movement and drink.? I would ask staff to document each time and keep good
documentation on your food/fluid tracking sheet.? This should be checked each
shift to see if they are getting enough fluids.? If they were way short on the
first shift, the second shift should encourage more frequently.? It will take
everyone working together but it can be done.?

Debbie Jones-Ellison, MS, CCC-SLP
Physical Nutrional Management Team