[Dysphagia] gum-based thickeners

Beth
These may help:

Modern Nutrition in Health and Disease by Shils
"High quality commercial thickeners do not leave an
aftertaste, do not continue to thicken after they set
and are fully digestible. Thickening agents that are
gum based , such as guar gum or pectin, are not
recommended as they will bind fluid so it is
unavailable for hydration" - A-183, 9th
Edition

Food Chemistry 73; 401-410.2001.In vitro binding of
calcium, iron and zinc by non-starch polysaccharides.
Debon SJJ; Tester RF.
Tested agar, carageenan, xanthan gum, gum arabic, gum
caraya, gum tragacanthpectin and gum guar and found
that they tended to inhibit the release of calcium,
iron and zinc.

Xanthan gum is an anionic bacterial polysaccharide.
Put simply by some users, this is a microbial
polysacchride, its base bacterium found on plants of
the cabbage family. Its uses are as an emulsion
stabilizer, it holds water, as opposed to releasing
it, enhances freeze-thaw stability, inhibits starch
retrogradation and improves shelf life It stabilizes
dispersions, suspensions, and emulsions. It?s not
something I would suggest as an agent used to maximize
water intake.
You might also want to note the amount of sodium in
both starch based and gum based thickeners.
Irene.

=====
www.dricampbell-taylor.com